Beijing College Student Film Festival was founded in 1993. It is approved by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television of People’s Republic of China, the Ministry of Education of China and the Municipal Government of Beijing, sponsored by Beijing Normal University and the Bureau of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television of Beijing, organized by the School of Art and Communication of BNU alongside the supports from CCTV-6, China Film Archive, China Education Television, China Film Foundation, China Film Newspaper, Radio Beijing, Beijing TV, Beijing Film Association, Beijing Youth League and Beijing Students’ Federation.
As one of the most influential film festivals in China, the BCSFF has continuously received great amounts of movies and global attention. Launched in early spring every year, it is also called as “the spring thunder of the film industry in China,” to which both CPC(Cost Per Click; Cost Per Thousand Click-Through) and the government are fully supportive. The motto of the BCSFF is “passion, professionalism, cultural awareness,” encouraging college students to express the insights into themselves and the world through the lens, as well as shaping a quite different aesthetic from other film festivals in China. The BCSFF, which provides an ideal stage for the masterpieces of Chinese films, and a cradle for the future filmmakers, contributes greatly to the Chinese film culture. Emerging from the developments of art education, culture industry and social reform in China, the BCSFF makes a difference.
The BCSFF was established by the faculty staff of the School of Art & Communication in 1993, and in 2014 it will welcome its 21th birthday. It includes series of excitements such as Chinese Films Competition, Student Film Competition, Academic Screening, Screening of the Newest Chinese Films, Tours on-campus, Film Review Competition, Seminars, Young Playwright Competition, Art & Design Competition, MC Competition and other activities at the parallel sessions all over China. The entire event lasts more than one month.
* The earliest film festival every year in China
* The only film festival held annually in China
* The only student film festival supported by the national government
* Longer running time than any other film festival in China
* Individual and collective screenings of masterpieces of Chinese films
* Banquet for auteurs and big stars from mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao, such as Zhang Yimou, Chen Kaige, Feng Xiaogang, Peter Chan, Gong Li, Ge You, Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Zhao Wei, Zhou Xun, Xu Jinglei, Chen Kun, Tony Leung Ka Fai etc.
* Attraction for the spotlights of both traditional and new media
* Wide and in-depth participation of the audience, especially the college students
Awards (The decision belongs to both jury and student)
The Jury Prize
Best Fiction Feature
Best New Artist
Award for Artistic Contribution
Best Director Selected by College Student
Most Popular among College Student
What are attractive?
* The BCSFF holds popularity and reputation no less than other famous film festival in China such as “Golden Rooster”, “Hundred Flowers” and “Cloud Pillar”. The BCSFF sees the increase of its influence, and aims at broader stage all over the world.
* College students, film stars and media people all join the party. The youths that are well educated, and always willing to accept new things, constitute an important part of the audience. Meanwhile, other sectors of society also pay a close attention because of the frequency and the duration of the media coverage. All kinds of media endeavor to provide the real-time updates. It is worth mentioning that the opening and closing ceremonies of the BCSFF are considered as audiovisual feasts for both the filmmakers and other spectators.
* What makes the BCSFF so distinguished is its academic and economic independence. Ticket prize for student, awards for young filmmakers, interaction between college and art, and theoretical thinking produce the community sensitivity, and the enthusiasm for the public good.
In sum, you will always find something funny or enlightening here!